History is Here

History is Here

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The 1920's Are Back




Two months ago, I had no idea what a podcast even was. Even after it was explained to me I still had no idea, and even now that I've made one, I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around the concept of what a podcast really is. This new technological phenomenon did almost immediately remind me of an old technological phenomenon, however, 1920's radio shows. I have always found the old radio shows from the early 1900's in the days before TV to be fascinating. I even remember making one as a kid using a cassette player when my class talked about early 20th century history. I tried once to do the activity again with some kids in an after-school program, but couldn't compete with art, games, and sports. I wish I had known about podcasting back then, as I probably would have had more success in getting them to participate. As far as using it in the classroom, I think it's a wonderful idea, especially when it comes to discussing the 1920's. I have always thought that the 1920's were one of the most interesting periods in United States history. It's disappointing, however, that many teachers devote little time to the subject. Or more accurately, they have little time to devote to it. Thanks to podcasts, however, the 1920's are back. The students can learn about the 1920's, while getting a taste of what entertainment was like back then. I also like the idea of using podcasts to do mini history documentaries. I was also able to cover several SOL's in one 6 minute podcast. It seems to be a fairly efficient way to get information across to kids. I do admit that I could have gone into much more depth with it, but all in all, I would use it again, and would give students the option of using it too.
So without further adieu, my first ever podcast featureing myself as Lucille, Brittany Olson as Pearl, and music from the movie Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment