History is Here

History is Here

Monday, March 29, 2010

I have a dream today...



The nightmare that is i photo aside, I am actually a huge fan of picture videos. While I think Windows Movie Maker and i movie are better programs due to the fact that you have more control over what is going on on the screen, the final product is virtually the same. In no other way can you capture the true emotion of history like you can in a photo. While there are many incredible events that could be made into movies, the Civil Rights Movement was the one that I was instantly drawn to. It is still recent enough in history that many people still remember being there, and the aftermath of it still resonates in society today. It remains so much so in fact that people don't say much about it. I remember when I was growing up, my history teacher just grazed over the Civil Rights Movement without going into extensive detail of what happened. My grandmother admits that it happened, and that it was a hard time, but she won't say much more than that about it. She isn't racist, she just doesn't like to talk about it. An older African American friend of mine was only a kid during the movement, and theoretically should have some personal connection to it, but went straight to talking about slavery when I asked him if he remembered it. We should talk about it, however. It was an important part of our history, and it played a HUGE role in shaping who and what we are today. My goal in making this film was to capture the true emotion and hardships of the Civil Rights Movement, and paint a picture for students of what these people had to go through to get their freedom. I chose queen Latifah's "I Know Where I've Been" from the movie "Hairspray" partly because it's a gorgeous song that was written specifically about the Civil Rights Movement, and partly because it is a recent enough song that kids will know it and be able to relate to it. I really wanted to convey what The Civil Rights movement was, and show kids that despite the fact that it happened many years ago, it still plays a part in what's happening today.

No comments:

Post a Comment